Frye Training Session June 2017

Each dog is different.  This is a fact I need to be cognizant of.  I've worked so hard in perfecting the cadence of agility with Braddock, but am finding that the cues, timing, and lines are all different for 
Frye. 

When Laurene Galgano, one of the best instructors for teaching a solid foundation, told me that she had an opening, I jumped at the opportunity.  Conditions weren't great.  It was a hot and muggy afternoon.  No cloud cover.  Frye was panting from the start, and smartly, taking shade under the A-frame while we waited to get started.

We ran a course, and quickly saw that Frye's stride makes her flank out wider than any other dog I've run, carrying her past the obstacles if I don't change her line. 

 One of the lines I needed to work more was the line to the weaves.  When Frye comes out of the tunnel she flanks out so far (because of her speed in the tunnel... she love them), that I need to use my opposite arm (like a false turn) to get her head and pull her in some.  And yet, at the same time, still give her enough space (at least 3 feet lateral away from her) to get into the weaves.
Another area I had to work was allowing myself to get downstream on a long run or else I can't keep up with her.  So, at the end of the course, before the straight red tunnel, it was more effective for me to do a blind cross as opposed to a front cross.
Also, because of Frye's incredible drive and speed, I need to be able to cue her to take jumps away from me, so Lauren demonstrated the start of teaching Frye an "out" command.
I was very impressed with Frye's tenacity.  She continued to work hard pushing through the heat.  Especially considering that this dog runs really hot.  On the last training element, a course sequence that moved from a front cross to a serpentine, I thought some fatigue would help me get collection out of her.  Not a chance!  The more I run ahead to get a front cross, the harder she drives.  So I learned that I need to get my opposite arm up much sooner and I need to do some exercises where I reinforce her for coming in to me.


Comments

Popular posts from this blog

KOA Oceanside CampGround and Bar Harbor Maine 2016

Skyline Ranch Resort - May 11-13, 2018

Kitchen Remodel Dec 2018