Training Seminar with Tracy Sklenar July 2017

I realize that agility will never look the same to me again.  From now on, all my eyes will see is a brindle blur.  Well, at least as long as I'm running Frye.  In previous years, all 20 of them to be exact, I looked ahead to see obstacles and my running path.  Yet all this time I was supposed to be looking at the dog, never losing connection.

There were some other important learnings as well, taboo suggestions if we reversed time a decade ago.  This little tidbit of knowledge is that in order to get max speed on course, don't get in your dog's way.  The best turn tool for cuing and getting out of the way is the blind cross. 

Of course, if agility were judged like Olympic Ice Skaters, all those fancy moves we've been learning the last 5 years might get us some extra points.  Don't get me wrong, I love learning new moves, challenging the status quo, and getting more tools in the toolbox, but it is important to also remember the old adage, "everything in moderation."  The bottom line is this, agility isn't judged on how fancy the moves look, it is judged based on time and accuracy.  Thus it pays to remember that an eye towards simplification carries with it a distinct advantage.

In summary, I learned the following:
1) watch the dog
2) how the eyes maintain connection and follow-through
3) blind crosses are great at cuing turns, and yes, even the tight ones
4) too many blind crosses can wear out the neck - be judicious
5) I can get a lot more speed out of the these dogs by getting out of the way
6) commitment to obstacles is key to getting down the line
7) don't manage the obstacle, manage the line, thus execute set and go handling

Finally, to throw in a voice of reason here....this is only one perspective on the approach to agility.  I have found over the years that those who embrace the wisdom of the many who have come before them, rather than the one with the loudest voice, have a greater understanding of the truth of things.  When determining what I believe, I hold onto the principle, "from the mouth of 3 witnesses."  Tracy has been my 3rd witness for blind crosses, so I expect to be doing many more in the future.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

KOA Oceanside CampGround and Bar Harbor Maine 2016

Skyline Ranch Resort - May 11-13, 2018

Kitchen Remodel Dec 2018