Pocahontas State Park August 2018

It's been a tough year - we've had a lot on our plate.  Thus, we haven't taken many vacations.  Originally for this weekend, I had a trip to Va Beach planned, but a few weeks ago I bailed on it.  Getting away just didn't seem feasible.  Then, as the weather started to turn to be more beautiful then it has in a while - cooler temps, low humidity, no rain - I got the itch to go do something.  We decided to keep it simple and stay close to home.  There was space at Pocahontas State Park and it gave us opportunity to hike, bike, and try out our new inflatable Coleman kayak. 


We reserved campsite # 71.  It is a pull  through, paved site.  This particular site is extremely level.  Not all of them in this new section are.  I do agree with the blog post review of this campground that the 40 foot sites are big enough for big rigs as well.  But, if I can get 71 in the future, I'll stick with that. 


blogpost review on Pocahontas State Park


The park is huge.  As a kid in high-school I ran cross-country there.  While visiting my parent's home which used to be near there, I would take the dogs occasionally.  The park never really appealed to me that much for strictly hiking.  One reason is that it is so populated it makes it hard to let the dogs run off lead (and they are supposed to be on lead at all times).  In addition, the multi-use trails are not naturalistic, with loose gravel footing, and there's not a lot interesting to look at.  My favorite trail as a child and still today is the Beaver Creek Trail.  There are 2 pretty views along this trail worth seeing.
Scenic view along the trail
Scenic view along the trail


picture of dock from start of Beaver Creek Trail
The park is filled with trails to explore.  I envisioned mountain biking the dogs on the new Lake Trail system, but I will say that this system is some pretty serious single-track riding.  We only made it about 1/4 mile with the dogs and then bailed.  A better trail to ride the dogs on from the campground is to take Pocahontas trail to Old Mill bike trail.
I wish I could have taken a picture from the kayak.  You put in  at Swift Creek boat ramp.  The water is calm and the views are quite nice.








Comments

Popular posts from this blog

KOA Oceanside CampGround and Bar Harbor Maine 2016

Skyline Ranch Resort - May 11-13, 2018

Kitchen Remodel Dec 2018