Logan's Return from Florida and Christmas Day 2016



We arrived home the afternoon of Friday December 23rd.  I’ve always noticed that my appreciation for home increases ten-fold after I’ve been away on a long trip.  When I pull up to the drive and see the house it’s like looking at a painting of the sea after a storm, when things have calmed and are in order.   I get this wave of emotion every time.  The dogs, in their own way, show excitement too, rushing inside to rub their bodies all over the furniture.  I used to correct them for that, but realize that this is part of their expression of joy.  Logan was especially happy to be home and therefore was the strongest participator in the furniture body rubbing jollies.


We took about a mile and ½ walk in the woods behind the house.  The trails are full of hardwoods and there’s not another house in sight when back there.  The only sounds are those of nature and I know when I am out there that this is what serenity sounds like.  We pass acres of wetlands along the way and  about halfway into the walk, just as we returned from the farm path that runs along the creek, Logan took off running.  He didn’t run after anything specifically, but rather just ran for the sheer joy of running.  We turned to go up the hill to farm loop and Logan came bounding up the hill to catch us. 


So many times as a youngster he blazed through those trails chasing after his sister Noel, who passed on 3 years ago.  I remember taking the same walks back then, having the same feelings of peace and serenity, and never a thought in my mind that the specifics of these moments would end.  And yet, I also realize that in those moments I could dream the future as clearly as I could remember the past, but never was fully in the present, cherishing each aspect of those moments.  The mind has a tendency to wander from the present and the richness each moment has to offer.


We were supposed to start Logan on Chinese herbs (Xiao Yao Wan) Saturday, Christmas Eve.  He was doing so well that I was reluctant to start his next phase of treatment.  Besides, I convinced myself that with the holidays on top of us, and vet offices closed, it would be prudent to wait until after Christmas just in case we had any unanticipated side effects.


So on Saturday, we continued life normally, and took the dogs to Poor Farm Park.  It was raining, so the dogs weren’t real active.  Cadia was the happiest, a true hunter rain or shine. 


She ran circles around us chasing whatever wildlife she could find.  Logan did have his moments of running to catch up to me to get a treat.  We walked for 3 and 1/2 miles and he did fine.  I caught myself starting to believe that maybe this cancer would be a slow progression and we will have him with us for a good part of 2017. 


On Sunday, Christmas Day, we walked Poor Farm Park again.  Russ and I commented that truly this was the boys’ day at Poor Farm.  Braddock was allowed off lead for about half the walk and he ran and chased alongside Cadia to his heart’s content.  Logan had a few moments of running down hills and doing his fly-by zoomie moves.  I was concerned his breathing would get erratic as it did in Florida, but he didn’t have any issues exerting that degree of energy over the 3 and ½ mile walk.





I’ll write more about Christmas Day in my personal blog, but I can sum up the main theme here, that Logan had a great day.


This made the decision to start Chinese herbs on Monday a little difficult.  On Christmas I was beginning to suspect that Logan had a bladder infection starting, but the vet isn’t open today to confirm.  I didn’t want to start the herbs if he needed to have antibiotics for the infection. 

.............

Started the herbs on Monday, but only 6 pills instead of the 8.  I want to move cautiously.  It's only been one day but he seems to be doing well on them.  And his urine concentration was fine and no infection.  That's good news.  We see Patti tomorrow so we will see how he is progressing.



Comments

Popular posts from this blog

KOA Oceanside CampGround and Bar Harbor Maine 2016

Skyline Ranch Resort - May 11-13, 2018

Kitchen Remodel Dec 2018