Invitational 2017 Highlights

Preamble (Stephanie's Musings):
There are those who play short-game well and there are those who play long-game.  I have trended towards the long-game most of  my life.  My doctorate in Neuroscience was a 7 year investment.  It required sacrifice, determination, and always keeping the end goal in sight.  Similarly, this goal, to place in the AKC agility Invitational Finals, was a goal 8 years in the making.  It too required persistence, sacrifice, and constant improvement.  I knew from the first moment I decided to take Braddock, that this goal was the journey we'd be on together. I was fortunate to have a dog like him who was motivated to take this ride with me.
Of course, we all hope to achieve our goals sooner rather than later.  We qualified for the Invitationals in 2014, 2015, 2016, and now in 2017.  We came to compete all of those years.  In 2014, on the third round, I forgot the course at the end and we had an off-course.  We still finished strong in round 4, but that one fault kept us out of the finals even though I had won best in breed.  In 2015, I faulted out in round 1 on a missed weave entry.  In 2016, we had a great first day, placing Top in Hound Group after Day 1.  On Day 2, during that hybrid albatross, I disconnected from Braddock and he had a wrong course.  I will confess, that this last fault deflated me, and I had moments of doubt of whether or not I would ever achieve this goal.
Yet, over the horizon were beacons of promise I could not yet see.  There was the unexpected 3rd place finish at finals in Westminster.  One month later, we made finals again at AKC Nationals.  Over the course of 2017, Braddock achieved feats I had never imagined, and he taught me an important lesson, to never give up hope.  He wasn't giving up.
I came to the 2017 Invitational scared to believe.  Yet, whether a figment of my imagination or truly real, there were signs connecting my goal to the tangible present.  For instance, Braddock's color is Red.  Well, this year's invitational was the color Red.  Another, Braddock's birthday is 6/05.  Our hotel room was #605 - (and yes, we had to get a hotel room for Logan's sake so he'd be closeby and not far away in the RV).  There were other little tender mercies along the way as well, but those are private, known only to me and my heart. 


The Invitational:
(note:  for full details for the courses and the event itself, see my blog post invitational event details). My memories will be how in sync I felt with Braddock.  I'll also remember how he strutted into the building like he belonged there.  He knew where he was and what he needed to do. Those previous years had set the stage for his stellar performance this year.  Braddock took 2nd place in Finals.  This makes 3 appearance in Finals at the 3 major AKC events in 2017 (Westminster, AKC Nationals, and AKC Invitational).  He is the only dog, at least in the 24" class, to accomplish that feat this year. 
Concluding Remarks (Russell's Sentiments):
I will echo Russ's comments he wrote in our journal because I don't think I have any better words to describe how this experience felt to both of us.  Russ wrote, "After a long exhausting 3 days, Braddock ran the Finals beautifully.  He was just too amazing for words. The crowd roared as he soared over the A-frame and flew over the dogwalk.  As he turned for home, flying thru the weaves, the roar intensified as he crossed the finish line.  He finished 2nd to an extremely fast little Weimeriener.   But the exhilaration at what he had accomplished remained.  This is a dog of destiny.  This was his time.  No other Ridgeback could have done what he did.  He was 1 second shy of winning the Invitational, but he will forever be the ultimate warrior and champion in our hearts."

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

KOA Oceanside CampGround and Bar Harbor Maine 2016

Skyline Ranch Resort - May 11-13, 2018

Kitchen Remodel Dec 2018