Frye Open STD leg #1 110517

In yesterday's post I said that Frye was not ready for Open STD, but that I was moving her up anyway. Well, I guess I was wrong.  Although it wasn't a perfect 100, she did pull off a Q.  I think there are 2 things that's have helped improved her training.  1) modification of warmup routine.  I used to do recalls but with a lot of distance so she would run wild rush past me.  So we shortened the distance so she could collect as she approached each of us.  I found this to improve her focus.  2) she gets muffins as a reward.  It's the only time she gets muffins and she loves them.  When I give her a taste before she enters the ring her legs start to quiver.  I have to be careful though, because if I give her too much she runs too high.
The challenge in STD is needing to babysit the contacts.  I think she thought the #2 teeter was the dogwalk, so when she got to the dogwalk she was careful.  I loved her response on the reverse spin before the walk. I was so excited she nailed her weaves first try.  However, because I had to race to the aframe to manage the contact, Frye accelerated so much that she ran past the frame.  I didn't call her to correct her line for the approach.  I thought there was no way to miss a HUGE aframe.  It taught me that when she's chasing me down, she prefers the running as opposed to the obstacles so I need to make sure to remind her to do her job and to find the line.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

KOA Oceanside CampGround and Bar Harbor Maine 2016

Skyline Ranch Resort - May 11-13, 2018

Kitchen Remodel Dec 2018